The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Dune: Part Two Is A Modern Science Fiction Masterpiece

2024 started off with a bang, with arguably the best science fiction film in recent memory… Dune: Part Two.
Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya star in Dune: Part Two, in theaters on March 1st. (Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures)

My most anticipated movie of the year, Dune: Part Two delivered massively; the stakes were higher, the action was increased, and overall, the story was incredible compared to the first film. Director Denis Villeneuve tackled the seemingly impossible task of adapting the story of Frank Herbert’s Dune with ease, delivering it in a digestible storyline for all.

A-list actors Timothée Chalamet and Austin Butler steal every scene they are in as Paul Atriedes and Feyd-Rautha respectively, both actors delivered arguably the finest acting in the sci-fi genre in recent memory. Butler and Chalamet’s characters are opposites throughout the film, these differences peaked during the final fight sequence, leaving my jaw on the floor.

The film picks up right as the first film left off, with Paul and his mother, Lady Jessica, traveling with the Fremen people. The film’s heart is the relationship between Paul and Chani, played by Zendaya, and Paul’s journey to learn more about the Fremen people. Throughout the film we see Paul grapple with whether or not he is the Lisan Al Gaib, a messiah-like figure who will turn Arrakis into a paradise. 

One of the biggest criticisms I have seen of Dune: Part One is that it is boring, or that there is not a lot of action. While I disagree with those statements, I do understand where those criticisms are coming from. Part Two does not have that problem, immediately immersing you into the film with heart-pounding sequences with amazing fight choreography, and action set pieces that feel real and grounded.

Hans Zimmer returns as the film’s composer, following up his Oscar-winning score for Dune: Part One with another incredible musical score. The film’s score is filled with amazing tracks that complement the gorgeous cinematography from Greig Fraser. Zimmer’s heart-pounding score amplified the intensity of each scene. Fraser expertly utilizes color grading and his cinematography, reaching new heights with breathtaking visuals adding another level to the film Fraser, arguably, can cement himself as one of the best cinematographers working today with his work on Dune: Part Two.

Dune: Part Two is a must-watch for fans of science fiction; it has revolutionized how films are made in the genre, combining practical effects and CGI, creating the perfect balance of incredible visuals. Comparisons have and will be made to the likes of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and I believe that Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two will stand the test of time and go down as two of the best films in the 21st century.