Latin Dance Team Performs For LCPS Elementary School

The DHS Latin Dance Team has been giving back to its local community by sharing the culture and heritage of Latin Dance with LCPS’s elementary school children.

The members of the DHS Latin Dance Team are very well known for their numerous accomplishments at competitions and for their on stage performances. It is no secret that their hard work sheds a bright light on Dominion High School. However, it is unknown to many that the DHS Latin Dance Team helps give back to the youth in their community as well.

After their competitions, the members of the Latin Dance Team usually visit one of three local elementary schools to perform for the children. According to Denise Alvarado, an 11th grade member of the team, “We only perform for Loudoun County Schools that are nearby. The three schools we usually visit are Sugarland Elementary, Horizon Elementary, and Meadowland Elementary.”

One of these three elementary schools is typically visited the day after the DHS Latin Dance Team performs at a competition. All age groups are encouraged and welcome to stay and watch. Typically, the audience is a mixture of children from preschool to fifth grade.

Alvarado also stated, “We perform for the elementary students after school hours. Most of the students in the school stay to watch.”

The DHS Latin Dance team has an array of routines to choose from. They normally perform two-three routines that were previously performed at competitions.

Alvarado also stated, “About half of the Latin Dance team performs for the Elementary students.  A lot of the dancers have after school jobs or obligations and aren’t able to perform.”

The members of the Latin Dance Team work together to not only represent the culture of Latin Dance, but also to bring smiles to the audience’s faces.  That is precisely what they are doing at Loudoun County’s local Elementary Schools. By dancing for the elementary school children, the Latin Dance Team helps spread the culture and heritage of traditional dances to the youth in LCPS.