The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Most Anticipated 2024 Movie Releases

2023 was one of the best years for movies in recent memory, as we enter the new year it’s time to look ahead to my most anticipated releases in 2024.
Ryan+Reynolds+and+Hugh+Jackman+team+up+as+Deadpool+and+Wolverine+in+Deadpool+3.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+%40deadpoolmovie+via+X%29+
https://twitter.com/deadpoolmovie
Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman team up as Deadpool and Wolverine in Deadpool 3. (Photo courtesy of @deadpoolmovie via X)
  1. Gladiator 2 (November 22nd, 2024)

On the surface, a sequel to the Best Picture-winning film Gladiator sounds like an easy cash grab, especially since it is releasing 24 years after the original. After it was announced that Ridley Scott was returning to direct, Gladiator 2 quickly became one of my most anticipated releases of the year with a star-studded cast. The plot of the film has been kept under wraps, but so far we know that Paul Mescal will be leading the film as Lucius, the son of Lucilla. Joining Mescal in the cast are Oscar-winning actor Denzel Washington, Pedro Pascal, and Joseph Quinn. 

1. Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (May 23rd, 2024)

Legendary filmmaker George Miller’s Mad Max: Fury Road is widely regarded as one of the greatest action movies,and a personal favorite of mine. Furiosa is a prequel to Fury Road, and the film stars Anya Taylor-Joy as a young Furiosa and her journey to become Imperator, as we see in Fury Road. Household name actor Chris Hemsworth has joined the cast as the Warlord Dementus.

1. Mickey 17 (March 29th, 2024)

Mickey 17 will be Korean director Bong Joon-ho’s next film after writing and directing Parasite, the first non-English film to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. The film has been described as a science fiction thriller, with Robert Pattinson) starring as Mickey 17, an “expendable” who is sent on a human voyage to colonize a vast ice planet. 

1. Deadpool 3 (July 26th, 2024)

The next film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is the largely anticipated introduction of Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool to the MCU, alongside the return of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 are two of the best superhero movies produced in the past 10 years. The excitement is building for my two favorite characters to interact on the big screen, for the first time. 

1. Dune: Part Two (March 1st, 2024)

Originally intended for a late 2023 release, Dune: Part Two is the sequel to 2021’s Dune, arguably one of the greatest films of the decade. Dune: Part Two is fit, with incredible visuals, cinematography, and acting from one of the best ensemble casts of the year, including Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and Rebecca Ferguson. Joining the cast are Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, and Christopher Walken. One of the best filmmakers working today, Denis Villeneuve’s (Blade Runner 2049, Prisoners, Arrival) next movie looks to be one of the best movies of the year. 

Honorable Mention: The Fall Guy (May 3rd, 2024)

David Leitch surprised many fans with last year’s Bullet Train, one of the funniest movies of 2022. Leitch’s next film follows Ryan Gosling as Colt Seavers, a stuntman for a big budget action-film who is tasked with investigating the disappearance of his lead actor. Starring alongside Gosling are Emily Blunt, Winston Duke, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.