The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Holiday Movies To Watch Between Your 500 Viewings of Elf

Movies are a key part of the holidays and although Elf is perfect, here are 10 other fantastic films to enjoy the season with.
Alla Abdelhalim
Watching movies is the perfect icebreaker or activity for the holiday season.

The Polar Express (2004)

• Family/Adventure – Rated G – Available on Hulu, Prime Video and Max
  • The Polar Express is a film about a young boy who doubts the existence of Santa and takes a magic train to the north pole. This is a heartwarming family movie that teaches people to believe.

A Fairly Odd Christmas (2012)

• Comedy/Fantasy – Rated G – Available on Paramount Plus and Prime Video
  • A Fairly Odd Christmas is one of multiple live action movie adaptations of The Fairly OddParents Nickelodeon cartoons. This is a funny family friendly movie that takes you on a journey with Timmy Turner and his fairly odd parents when they accidentally make children stop believing in Santa.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

• Comedy/Fantasy – Rated PG – Available on Hulu and Prime Video
  • How The Grinch Stole Christmas is one of many holiday classics. It is a hilarious family movie about the hateful Grinch and his journey to destroy Christmas. A dent in his plan is made when he meets Cindy Lou Who.

The Nightmare before Christmas (1993)

• Musical/Fantasy- Rated PG – Available on Disney Plus and Prime Video
  • This fantastic movie is about the king of Halloweentown, Jack Skellington, who gets sick of scaring people over and over. Skellington finds Christmastown and decides he wants to rule Christmas as well.

Home Alone (1990)

• Comedy/Family – Rated PG – Available on Disney Plus, Hulu and Prime Video
  • Home Alone is an iconic movie about 8 year old Kevin who was accidentally left behind when his family left for a trip to Paris. His excitement about being alone was short lived once he realized he had to protect himself and his family’s home from two burglars. 

Frozen (2013)

• Musical/Fantasy – Rated PG – Available on Disney Plus and Prime Video
  • This movie is not necessarily about the holidays but its winter atmosphere and family themes make it a family movie staple. The movie is about sisterhood and true love and it is perfect for a movie night with younger siblings or family members.

Daddy’s Home (2015)

• Comedy/Action – Rated PG13 – Available on Paramount Plus and Prime Video
  • Daddy’s Home is an incredibly funny movie about a calm mannered step father seeking the attention of his wife and step children when the biological father comes to visit for the holidays. The film’s themes of family mixed with the comedy make it perfect for connecting with people over the holidays.

Falling for Christmas (2022)

• Comedy/Romance – Rated TV PG- Available on Netflix
  • Falling for Christmas is a Netflix Original movie about a newly engaged heiress, played by Lindsay Lohan, who has an accident skiing and temporarily loses her memory. In this romantic comedy, Lohan’s character wakes up under the care of a handsome cabin owner and his daughter.

Holidate (2020)

• Comedy/Romance – Rated TV MA – Available on Netflix
  • Holidate is a funny movie about two singles who meet at the mall and decide to be eachothers plus ones for the holidays. The movie portrays the journey of the two navigating their feelings for each other while they pretend to be in love.

The Night Before (2013)

• Comedy/Drama – Rated R – Available on Tubi and Prime Video
  • The Night Before is a hysterical movie about three best friends who gather together on Christmas Eve every year to celebrate together. After realizing they won’t be able to continue their tradition very much longer, the three of them go around New York looking for the best party to end their ritual on a great note.