Dominion High School Press

Filed under Entertainment

This Week in Smash #5

Back to Article
Back to Article

This Week in Smash #5

Michael Richardson

Michael Richardson

Michael Richardson

Genesis 6 is now behind us, a bit of time has passed, so let’s forgo the frills and exposition: a lot of good Smash Ultimate has been played in tournament since Genesis 6 ended! And as usual, the best sets of those tournaments are right here, in This Week in Smash!

DA | “Venia” (Greninja) vs. DA | “Sinji” (Pac-Man) @ Xeno Weekly #148, Grand Finals; 2/14/19:

You “Naruto” fans out there will appreciate the use of what looks a lot like “shadow-clone jutsu” by Venia’s incredible Greninja in this set. Venia’s countering of projectiles from Sinji’s Pac-Man, in order to appear out of thin air and do a flying kick, his crafty on-command, short-range teleport kicks, and more, make this set watch like an anime fight sequence at times. Very cool.

Echo Fox, MVG | “MkLeo” (Wolf) vs “WaDi” (Rosalina & Luma) @ eSports Arena Wednesday Night Fights (WNF) Weekly #412, Grand Finals; 2/6/19 (Uploaded 2/12/19):

One of the best players (if not the best) from the Maryland-Virginia (MDVA) region, WaDi, tries his hand post-Genesis while still in California, at taking on the locals there with a new character for him, Rosalina. His opponent in Grands? The biggest name in Ultimate thus far: MkLeo, winner of more Ultimate majors than anyone else so far.
Put simply, on showcase here is some of the best Smash play you can watch, two high-performing players with impressive records.

“6WX” (Incineroar) vs “The Great Gonzales” (Palutena) @ Code Name: B-airs Weekly #175, Grand Finals; 2/15/19:

Well-known Sonic main in Smash 4 “6WX” goes off through nearly all (if not all) of his bracket, never dropping off Winner’s Side, with the underdog cat/wrestler Pokémon character “Incineroar.”
Often thought of as a low or bottom tier fighter, due to his somewhat poor (or, more accurately, exploitable) recovery, Incineroar is still one of the top threats in this game if he can stay on-stage.
Both players in this set are seasoned tournament regulars, and both put on a great show in this set.

Echo FOX | “MKLeo” (Wolf) Vs. “Marss” (Ike) @ Mega Smash Mondays (MSM) Weekly #176, Grand Finals; 2/15/19:

One of SoCal’s (Southern California’s) best, Marss, goes for a runback in Grand Finals against MKLeo, the current number one player in the world for Smash Ultimate.
Previously losing to Leo in the Grand Finals set of 2GGaming’s “Heart of Battle” regional, Marss is looking to rewrite history by taking this MSM right out from under MKLeo, who was on Winner’s Side going into Grands.

I hope you enjoyed these weekly highlights, and be sure to check in on DHS Press each week for more This Week in Smash!