The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Thank You Mrs. Sokol

Lilly Cameron
Mrs. Sokol first began teaching at Dominion 14 years ago after starting her teaching career at Seneca Ridge Middle School.

Dear Mrs. Sokol,

When I got my first calc test back in the fall of junior year, the pages were covered in red ink. The content was unfamiliar and I felt embarrassed that I couldn’t pick up unit topics as quickly as I had in previous classes. I was worried my first test grade reflected that I wasn’t fit for an AP math class. It wasn’t until you pulled me aside to go over the test that I felt reassured and empowered to succeed in the class.

Your dedication causes your students to strive for improvement, regardless of their previous conceptions of their abilities. It’s how you answer our questions with compassion and celebrate our improving test scores that influence your student’s desire to learn. You lead with encouragement, enthusiasm, and wisdom, and this school would not be the same without you.

You’ve taught me that just because something is foreign at first, does not mean that it will stay that way, and that it just takes a little more time to get something to stick. Although AB topics felt slow to master last year, your guidance this year paired with more application has certainly drilled them in. Your classroom has proved to be a safe space for students to learn, fail and grow their confidence in mathematics.

I’m so excited to take the lessons I’ve learned from your class whether it’s integrating or being patient with myself with me into future courses. Dominion is truly lucky to have such an inspiring teacher helping students tackle, often, their first college level math class.

I’ve come a long way from failing my first calc test, and I have you to thank for that. Through your class I learned the importance of a balanced schedule and developed effective study habits.

Now as I’m preparing for the Calc BC exam, I can’t think of a better teacher to offer my appreciation to than Dominion’s fantastic math department chair.

Thank you,

Lilly Cameron