The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Closed Bathrooms and Confusion

Hey Admin, where can I go to the bathroom?
Callie Stravinski
Outside of the L600’s bathrooms, Dr. Brewer posted a note highlighting that the bathrooms will now be closed.

Contrary to popular belief, Dominion’s bathrooms are not vape lounges. 

The administration has taken steps, some backward, to reduce vaping and hallway-wandering at school. By leaving only three main bathrooms open, 200s, L100s, 400s, and also single-stall restrooms, students are left to play a guessing game for the closest, functioning restroom. Effectually, this ‘solution’ has resulted in more students roaming the hallways as they try various bathrooms and are met with locked doors.

At the beginning of the year, the L600 was the only open multi-stall bathroom on the lower level, causing us students to fall into a routine. It suddenly closed without notice from the administration, leaving students without a clue where to go to the bathroom. A notice signed by Dr. Brewer was later left on the L600s bathrooms stating that students should use the L100s bathroom, disorienting students.

Students can no longer use bathrooms between classes as they are encouraged to do. Open bathrooms are few and far between and since open bathrooms are usually two hallways out of the way from your class, students are forced to use their class time when they have to use the bathroom.

Students fall into a cycle of going to the one bathroom they know should be open, so when bathroom availability changes, it results in more time spent away from learning. The Administration should indicate which bathrooms are open on the morning announcements so students would no longer have to play the “Which bathrooms will be open today?” game.