The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Club Spotlight: Black Student Union

The Black Student Union is a club focused on connecting black students through black culture and opinions.
Alena Mirabal
The Black Student Union is a club all about sharing and educating others on Black culture. (photo courtesy of Alena Mirabal)

Dominion’s Black Student Union (BSU) is a club for black students and students who are interested in black culture and to express their opinions about new trends, topics, and ideas. They meet before school at 8:45 every other Wednesday.

A typical BSU meeting consists of breakfast and a conversation about recent events, news, or cultural events, along with planning for future events and playing games. 

BSU’s main goal is to get more students active in the club and to increase student interest in BSU’s club meetings and activities. “It’s important for black students to come together and feel like they can have a safe place to go,” Secretary Reagan Myers said. 

A proud achievement of BSU this year was the Trunk or Treat because of a good student turnout and well-decorated car. “We express a love for black culture by doing activities and games,” Event coordinator Esther Ibekwe said.

BSU also works with other high schools’ BSU clubs to host events and come up with ideas like the HBCU fair they had, attending an opera, and a street fair.  BSU is also planning events in February including a spirit week and possibly a guest speaker. BSU’s next meeting will be on January 10, at 8:45 AM in room 501.