The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Wrapping Up with First Year Teacher: Ms. Carper

An interview with Ms. Carper on her first year teaching at Dominion.
Sebastian Puentes
Ms. Carper can be found teaching in either room L606 or L604.

How long have you been teaching? This is my first year teaching.

What schools did you teach at previously? This is my first year teaching, but I was a long term substitute last year at Rockridge High School. So this is my first year at Dominion High School. 

What did you do before you became a teacher? I worked at a restaurant for six years. As a student teacher, I actually taught fifth grade before [teaching] high school.

What classes do you teach? I teach Gourmet Foods and Early Childhood Education. 

What made you want to become a teacher? I had a lot of teachers in my life that made an impact on me and I wanted to do the same for other students.

How has your first year at Dominion gone? Fantastic. I love it. 

What problems have you faced in your first year here? The phones are the main issue. Mainly, the phones are the only behavioral issue that I have. 

What made you decide to teach at Dominion? When I was a substitute teacher, before I was long term subbing, I actually subbed at Dominion quite a bit, pre COVID. When I was substitute teaching here, I noticed that a lot of the students at Dominion would be upset that they had a sub and I knew that they must have had really good teachers here for the students to be upset that there was a substitute. So, I knew that this environment here was the type of place I’d  want to work in.  

What has been your favorite part of being a Titan? I think we have a lot of fun in our class, and building relationships with students. 

What is your favorite thing to do when you are not in the classroom? [When] I’m not in the classroom, I go to the gym a lot. 

Do you have any summer plans? I have packed my summer full with going to different beaches. I’m going to Chicago. I’m going to be not here, as in not at home, as much as possible.