National Honor Society’s Process of Application and Benefits towards Students

National Honor Society at DHS: processes and applications.

Steps in the Process

1. Guidance looks at students’ GPAs and eliminates some individuals from there.
  2. The list of students meeting the GPA requirement all receive a letter letting them know that they are a person who is eligible to apply for NHS.
  3. The GPA is never looked at again and students may ask for a hard copy or electronic copy of the application from Thomas Chuba.
  4. The student then must fill it out, remembering to highlight their community service, leadership, and character.
  5. While all the students are applying, a list is sent to the faculty for teacher evaluations, which helps the selection committee when reviewing applicants.
  6. This information returns to Chuba and he summarizes all teacher recommendations and comments.
  7. Paper copies of the application must be turned in before the deadline.
  8. Chuba makes six copies of each application.
  9. Then, he makes 5 boxes of copies and one copy of each faculty evaluation summary. One box goes to each member of the selection committee. Chuba’s role is to make sure the NHS application process is followed exactly.
  10. The selection committee does not see teachers’ names, Chuba is the only one.
  11. The selection committee gets one week to look over applications, and then they meet to look at each student together and vote on their membership. Comments made about applicants are recorded. Once the results are finished, they are given to Dr. Brewer.
  12. He sends any questions or objections back to the committee once he is done.
  13. Brewer then notifies each person who has applied about the results.
  14. At that point, people not selected can see Chuba about the selective committee’s comments.
  15. Rejected applicants can appeal decisions, and they are sent to Dr. Brewer.
  16. Lastly, accepted students must attend the induction ceremony.

Process Description and Benefits towards Students

National Honor Society provides many benefits for students that end up shaping them as people and as thoughtful, giving individuals.

Thomas Chuba, the sponsor for NHS says that there is no checklist, but prospective members should focus on long-term community service, showing examples of leadership qualities or positions, and examples of integrity and character. Students who are strong in these three areas usually have an advantage over others who are applying.

Community service plays a large role in NHS, but the committee has no preference for the type of work students do, so it would be helpful for an individual to show deep involvement and motivation in any long-term service project.

One stressful aspect of the process is filling out paperwork, but usually, Chuba is in the library three or fight nights for students to ask him questions, but not many people come, and therefore miss out on a way of checking for mistakes in their applications.

Being a member of NHS helps students be aware of their community service goals, willing to try new things, and able to help others through tutoring.

An NHS member should always be prepared to try their hardest and go above and beyond in any task. “NHS members are held to a higher standard of character and behavior.” Chuba said. “As role models they are required to perform tutoring, attain community service hours, and keep their GPA above a 3.5.”

Katie Ledwell, a senior in NHS, thinks that this organization has taught her a lot about discipline and leadership. “NHS teaches discipline, leadership, and how to be honorable and have character.”

Jaclyn Smith, the director of guidance at Dominion High School, encourages students to apply not only because it looks great on a resume, but also because NHS exemplifies truly Titan qualities like leadership, service, and character. “I think NHS helps students to be involved, aware of leadership skills, and determined to lead a life of significance within the community.”