LCPS Seeks Parent Input for 2022-23 School Calendar

graphic created by DHS Press Staff

LCPS seeks input from parents about next year’s student schedule.

Even though we’re not even finished with the first quarter, the LCPS School Board already has their sights set on next year. On the LCPS.org website front page, parents are asked to submit their feedback on potential school calendars for the 2023-2024 school year, with a deadline of October 24, 2022

There are three potential calendars to be reviewed, all three of these options include 174 school days, winter and spring breaks at the end of December 2023 and the end of March 2024, and multiple student holidays spread throughout the year.

Option 1 is essentially the same as the current school year system.

First Day: Thursday, August 24, 2023

Last Day: Friday, June 14, 2024

Winter Break: December 16, 2023 – January 2, 2024 (11 school days)

Spring Break: March 23, 2024 – April 1, 2024 (5 school days)

School will start on the fourth Thursday in August, and will end on the second Friday in June of the following year. This option includes 16 straight days off for winter break.

Option 2 starts a bit earlier, but is extremely similar to option 1. 

First Day: Monday, August 21, 2023

Last Day: Friday, June 7, 2024

Spring Break: March 23, 2024 – April 2, 2024 (6 school days)

The school year starts on the second-to-last monday of August, instead of Thursday. The year would get out one week earlier in this schedule, but would have less seemingly random student holidays throughout the year. Since option 2 still has long winter and spring breaks, it may be a good alternative to the previously mentioned option 1.

Option 3 is a much different option than the other two, with the school year not starting until after labor day in September. 

First Day: Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Last Day: Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Winter Break: December 20, 2023 – January 2, 2024 (9 school days)

This poll has ended.

Which option do you prefer for the 2022-23 student calendar?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

To accommodate for this extra time off during summer, option 3 contains a slightly shorter winter break and less student holidays throughout the year. Option 3 also contains the shortest 1st quarter and longest 3rd quarter of any option. 

It’s important to note that according to the LCPS website “this form is to provide feedback only and does not represent a guarantee that feedback will be included in the final calendar. The authority for final approval lies solely with the Loudoun County School Board.”

Parents can view and give feedback on the calendars HERE

There are three options being presented for the 2022-23 student calendar. (courtesy lcps.org)