The Infamous Wayde Byard

One of the many photo shopped pictures of Wayde Byard created by Loudoun County students.

Loudoun County has been taken by storm this year, literally, by numerous snow storms forcing the cancellation of school due to 13 snow days not including delays. Students across the county have turned to idolizing public information officer Wayde Byard, thanking and pleading with him for a day off when snow seems to be in the forecast turning humble Byard into a local celebrity.

Social media websites such as Twitter are flooded with tweets with the hashtag #closelcps before every snow storm, and pictures of Byard photo shopped onto celebrities, religious figures such as Jesus, and cartoon characters portray him as a hero. Even songs have been written about him such as “Waiting on Wayde” to the tune of “Waiting on the World to Change” by John Mayer. “I think John Mayer is owed a royalty,” Byard said.

Byard doesn’t mind all the press, however, as long as it’s all in good fun. “I’m amazed as someone with a face as un-photogenic as mine is getting so much face time,” Byard said.

All this “face time” has led to Byard becoming a local celebrity, and students will jump at any moment to get a picture with Byard. The moment when he realized he was a local celebrity? “When they [students] started running up to me to take ‘selfies,’” Byard said.

Behind the monotone Byard we hear on our seemingly weekly early morning phone calls due to the snow, is actually a man with a great sense of humor, perfect for accepting his celebrity status.

However, living in the spotlight has seemed to affect his day to day activities more so than snow days ever have before. “It has affected my ability to cover school events, because I can’t slip in and out anonymously,” Byard said.

Before every snow storm, you won’t see Byard doing any snow dances or flushing ice cubes down the toilet. Instead, Byard watches several weather forecasts and waits for Superintendent Dr. Edgar Hatrick’s call at 4:30am letting him know the decision to close, open, or delay schools.

If school is closed, Byard usually won’t have a day off unless he cannot leave his driveway, so he comes to work anyway. If he cannot leave his driveway, Byard sticks around to shovel and answers media questions for the day.

Despite all the coverage this year, Byard does not view himself as a hero, as he feels he is just doing his job. “Someone like Nelson Mandela is a hero. I am an accidental celebrity,” Byard said.

Although Byard agrees that it is fun to have a few snow days here and there, he urges the importance of a good education. “School is a short time in your life, treasure every day. I know snow days are fun, but school is far more useful in the long run,” Byard said.