The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

The School Board Votes on the 2021-22 Calendar and Discusses the Return to School

Neena Peterson

Yesterday evening, the Loudoun County School Board met to discuss, among other issues, the numerous  logistics of returning students to in-class instruction.

On Tuesday December 1, The Loudoun County School Board assembled virtually to discuss the hybrid learning model, and the changes to the 2021-2022 calendar.

Loudoun County is a very diverse community with many people celebrating all different holidays.  For many years students and parents have been asking the school board to observe non-Christian religious holidays, like Yom Kippur and Diwali.

There were five models of next year’s calendar. Option A being the normal calendar, the one we have every year, option B where there are three additional holidays are recognized, option C where four additional holidays are recognized and election day is a holiday for teachers, option D there are five additional holidays, and finally option E, just one additional holiday being election day.

The school board ultimately decided to choose option B where there are three additional holidays, but teachers still have a workday on election day.  This decision was 6-2. This means that the last day of school will end two days after it was supposed to end.

Also discussed was the implantation of the hybrid model, what it means for athletics, and what happens if students have to return to 100% distance learning.

The hybrid model is divided up into four stages with stages one, two and three are already being implemented, including hybrid at the Academies for all grades and grades K-5 returning. Stage four is the return of grades 6-12 on January 21.

The Board also discussed what had to happen in order for hybrid to turn 100% distance, including six days after the metrics are reached, meaning after the number of cases exceeds 200 per 100,000 and 10% positivity rate within the county.

As of December 1, the total number of cases per 100,000 people is 326.9 and the positivity rate was 8.1%, this means that cases in Loudoun County are reaching a higher risk. 

In an event where these metrics continue for six days, learning will revert back to distance learning.  Athletics however will still go on if VHSL allows, but all other off season practices will be cancelled.

SCHOOL BOARD ADOPTS 2021-2022 CALENDAR

The Loudoun County School Board adopted the student calendar for the 2021-22 school year at its Tuesday, December 1, meeting.

The 2021-22 Student Calendar

August 26: First Day Of School

September 3, 6: Holiday (Labor Day)

September 16: Student/Staff Holiday

October 11: Holiday (Indigenous Peoples’ Day)

October 28: End of Grading Period

October 29: Student Holiday (County-Wide Staff Development)

November 1: Student Holiday (Planning/Records/Conference Day)

November 2: Student/Staff Holiday

November 4: Student/Staff Holiday

November 24-26: Holiday (Thanksgiving)

December 20-December 31: Winter Break (Classes Resume January 3, 2022)

January 17: Holiday (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)

January 28: End of Grading Period

January 31: Moveable Student Holiday* (Planning/Records/Conference Day)

February 21: Holiday (Presidents’ Day)

March 7: Student Holiday (County-Wide Staff Development)

April 8: End of Grading Period

April 11-15: Holiday (Spring Break)

April 18: Student Holiday (Planning/Records/Conference Day)

May 3: Student/Staff Holiday

May 30: Holiday (Memorial Day)

June 17: Last Day Of School/End of Grading Period