Expanding the Breakfast Club

Students+enjoying+breakfast+club+in+the+morning.+

Mia Cvijanovic

Students enjoying breakfast club in the morning.

With the Breakfast Club, our school ensures that everyone has access to the most important meal of the day. Monday through Friday starting at 8:30 a.m to 9:15 a.m, the Breakfast Club is open for students to sit down and have breakfast in Room 503, which is run by Mrs. Wysche, and it provides a variety of foods such as bagels and muffins, as well as a place to relax before the school day begins. 

Freshman Caelan Jones says that the breakfast club makes her morning routine easier because “if [I] forget to eat breakfast in the morning, it’s there and [I] can always get a hot chocolate”.

The Breakfast Club dates back all the way back to 2003, when Dominion opened and was started by teacher Jill Crispino. It started when the school nurse at the time saw that students were being dropped off by their parents before the school doors opened. She would see the students outside in the cold waiting for the doors to open and she asked Dr. Brewer if she could provide a space where the kids could come inside and get a hot beverage instead of waiting outside in the cold. 

Currently, the goal for the club is to provide the, “over 100 kids that come through on a daily basis [which is] a space for kids to come sit down, relax and connect with other students of different grades and also teachers before school starts” Wysche said. Parents and teachers help support the Breakfast Club. Mrs. Downes, a parent in the community, sends out a Signup Genius every month asking for donations. The Signup Genius is also posted in the local Facebook groups for more people to be aware of the program.They also ask for donations from any local businesses, they used to get donations from Shoppers Food Warehouse and now that it has closed, they’re looking for other businesses to donate. A local church donated the couches and also the refrigerator in room 403.

Whether you missed breakfast this morning staying up for that test or just want to hang out with your friends before school, stop by room 503 at 8:30 a.m every weekday.