Teacher Tuesday: Lori Zerne

Dr. Zerne is a new English teacher at Dominion this year.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Tuesday: Lori Zerne

Dr. Zerne, who is new to Dominion this year, enjoys traveling with her family and rock climbing.

courtesy by Lori Zerne

courtesy by Lori Zerne

courtesy by Lori Zerne

Q: What would the students be surprised to find out about you?

A: I used to do a bit of rock climbing, and my husband proposed to me on a mountain peak.  (And a bonus for history buffs: I’m descended from Anne Hutchinson.)

Q: What is one of your hidden talents?

A: I’m a super-taster; for example, I can taste bitterness where other people can’t, and once I correctly identified cumin as the secret ingredient in a cafe’s house chai blend.

Q: How do you spend your summer breaks?

A: I typically travel a bit with my family (the destination varies–this summer we went to the Delaware seashore, upstate New York, and Canada), and then I work on various household projects and some type of professional development.

Q: What would your last meal be? 

A: Eggplant Parmigiana from Oliverio’s Ristorante in Morgantown, WV with gelato for dessert.

Q: If you won the lottery and decided to give up teaching, what would you do instead? 

A: Continue researching and writing about 18th-century British literature, and travel with my family.

Q: What’s the best/worst thing about being a teacher?

A: Best: Reading my students’ amazing ideas.

Worst: Actually grading papers.

Q: If you could take the students on a field trip to anywhere in the world, where would you take them and why?

A: England, so they could experience all the incredible places I visited when I studied there during my sophomore year of college.