The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

Dominion High School Press

Filed under Sports

Lacrosse Looks to the Postseason

Both Titan teams face-off tonight against Rock Ridge at home.

Candid Color

Candid Color

Both the Dominion Boys and Girls Varsity Lacrosse teams have high hopes when it comes to the postseason which gets underway with a doubleheader at Dominion High School on Thursday May 18th. The girls will play at 6 pm followed by the boy’s game.

The girl’s team finished the regular season with an overall record of 10-4. They went 4-1 in their conference to finish second. Earlier this year the girls dismantled Rock Ridge 24-6.

Dominion’s girls varsity head coach Diane Traynor says that she wants her players to play one team and one game at a time. “We need to stay focused and mentally strong.”

University of Mary Washington commit and Dominion High School senior Nicolette Blackwell has a similar approach in her mindset for Thursday’s game. She says, “Personally my mindset for Thursday is to not get overconfident going into the game.” Blackwell believes that if her and her teammates can execute their game plan under high pressure situations, then they will be victorious.

For girls lacrosse this could be their first year reaching states. Coach Traynor believes that a big component for reaching states is to play together as a team and never give up on yourself or your teammates. She says, “Our girls know that every minute on the field counts, they just need to stay mentally focused and play tough for the entire game.”

The boy’s team finished their regular season with an overall record of 11-3. With securing the conference championship this past Monday the boys are assured of a Region berth. They previously beat Rock Ridge 20-11.

Coach Lenotti, the boys head coach believes that they need to keep their mindset simple, “Just play the game, play it hard.” He doesn’t want his players to overthink, he wants them all to be relaxed, but still play aggressively.

Senior Sam Burke is excited for this moment, claiming that he and his teammates have worked really hard this season, so that they could be best prepared for the postseason.