The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

Dominion High School Press

Filed under Sports

Spring Baseball Preview

The 2017 Titan Baseball season kicked off with a triumphant win against our rival Potomac Falls. The Varsity team, led by head coach Jeff Berg and assistant coaches Anthony Eifler and Anthony DeMott, is currently 2-2 and is scheduled to face off against Park View Wednesday at home.

The team is held up by seniors Evan Slebrch, Griffin Limongelli, Cole Slack, Jacob Molland, and newcomer Max Dyson. The team as a whole is still pretty young with Sophomore Dylan Weber and Freshman Mario Canestraro filling large roles on the field. Due to the younger players, Eifler said, “Our senior leadership is going to be something we heavily rely upon.”

Eifler also describes the team as being “solid across the board” when it comes to hitting, fielding, pitching, and the overall talent and dedication that goes into being a Titan ball player. With the returning talent of Evan Slebrch and Dylan Weber who both made all conference teams in the 2016 season, the team is going into the season with a lot of faith in what they’re bringing to the field. Eifler said, “Evan and Dylan are our two proven commodities, but we’ve got some guys really stepping up into roles they weren’t in last year. So it’ll be exciting to see how they do.”

The team this year will be maintaining their annual goals of pursuing excellence not only on the field, but also in the classroom through their grades and through community outreach which includes the team’s involvement in Challenger Baseball.

The ultimate goal for the players and coaches, however, will be to win a conference tournament. A lot of past years’ better ranked teams such as Loudoun Valley have lost a lot of their valuable seniors, leaving the forecast of the 2017 season mostly unpredictable, and the tournament up for grabs. Eifler said, “We haven’t won a conference tournament yet here, and I think it’s definitely an achievable goal. I say let’s start there.”