From Dominion to Israel, Emily Wesoky Soars On and Off the Field

Emily+Wesoky+had+been+interacting+with+the+Israel+lacrosse+organization+since+2016.+

Courtesy of Emily Wesoky

Emily Wesoky had been interacting with the Israel lacrosse organization since 2016.

How did you get into lacrosse?

“When I was in 1st grade, Algonkian Tribe youth lacrosse was just starting and girls from my grade were signing up and I was the type of kid that tried a bunch of sports, so my parents signed me up.”

Did you ever see yourself going this far in your sport?

“When I was in middle school I realized that I wanted to play in college and I felt that I could. In 7th grade I started playing for a competitive travel team which was meant for college recruiting and it gave me a lot of exposure to college coaches starting in high school.”

Wesoky helped bring home a state championship her senior year.. (Courtesy of Emily Wesoky)

How many years have you played lacrosse?

“I have been playing for almost 16 years, I started when I was 6 years old.”

Did you play for Dominion all four years?

“I did. I was lucky enough to be on varsity all 4 years and helped the team win its first state championship my senior year in 2019.”

If you could go back and tell your highschool self one thing, what would it be?

“I would tell myself to not take things too seriously. Obviously lacrosse was very competitive and I wanted to be the best I could be, but it is meant to be a game and to have fun with your friends, and I think most people forget that.”

How do you feel about approaching your fourth year on the Wagner lacrosse team?

“I am super excited for this season! We are ranked #1 in the preseason for our conference and we are playing some great teams. We have such a great coaching staff led by Kelly McPartland, she was a national champion at University of Maryland and is a former member of the U.S. women’s national team. My coaches give me a lot of confidence and care about the team so much. I love leading this team as a senior and can’t wait to get the games started.”

What are you majoring in at Wagner college? 

“I am a sociology major with a concentration in family studies and social work and a minor in psychology.”

What are your plans post college graduation?

“I will be pursuing a masters in school counseling at Rider University where I will be using my covid year and playing lacrosse as well. Rider is starting a brand new Division 1 lacrosse team there, so I will be on the first ever team and help build the program. After graduate school, I would like to move to Israel for a year and help grow the game of lacrosse there.”

2019 Dominion Graduate revisited her elementary school, Horizon Elementary. (Courtesy of Emily Wesoky)

How long have you been playing for the Israel Lacrosse organization? 

“I have been involved with Israel lacrosse since 2016, when I went on the winter service trip. Since then I have been on another service trip and chaperoned one, played on the u16 and u19 national teams and I am now on the women’s national team where I played in the world championships this past summer. I was able to make citizenship to Israel last year and now I am the citizenship coordinator for Israel lacrosse.”

How did you come about the opportunity to play for the Israel Lacrosse team? 

“When I was in 8th grade, Israel lacrosse was reaching out to youth lacrosse clubs looking for Jewish lacrosse players. I got involved my sophomore year of high school and have been involved ever since.”

Courtesy of Emily Wesoky

What advice would you give student athletes hoping to follow a similar path?

“My advice would be to work hard and have fun. Don’t play for the accolades and recognition, play for yourself and the love of the sport. As long as you work hard and play for yourself, you will get great outcomes.”