The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Advisory for the 24-25 School Year

In an effort to promote Dominion High School’s four core values, advisory will make a return as “Titan Time” for the 24-25 school year.
A variety of staff members from admin to foreign language teachers have come together to plan how to best bring back advisory.

Next school year Titan Time will be getting a makeover, not the study hall, but something formerly known as Clubhouse or Storm for the underclassmen. After getting rid of advisory pre COVID and implementing a homeroom during virtual schooling, it was apparent that being back in school full time is missing the student connections. 

It was evident that Advisory would represent the schools mission statement which was updated this past year to be “empowering each and every student to reach their full potential through belonging, relationships, and challenging learning experiences,” Engagement Coordinator Mr. Throckmorton said.

Titan Time will take place twice a week between the second and third block or sixth and seventh. The current plan is to have 50 groups consisting of three teachers, 20-25 students, in a classroom doing structured lessons for 25 minutes. As teachers shift and students graduate, the plan is for the groups to stay together for the students’ entire time in high school. 

Each group will also have a Link Crew leader assigned. The student leaders will be able to pull their students out of the group lesson and meet with their freshman in a separate classroom. “Link Crew is the most effective when our leaders can form authentic relationships with their ninth graders… They can teach them how to be successful in high school, and just authentically form friendships over the course of a year,” Link Crew Commissioner Ms. Nguyen said. 

English and CAMPUS teacher Mr. Yupanqui said, “I think giving us an additional opportunity to gather without a set assignment or requirement for credit is going to be really important. It’s going to be another avenue for many students to find a classroom, family atmosphere that they will hopefully carry on.”