Changes Coming for the Football Schedule Next Year

Courtesy of the DHS Yearbook

Fans will see new opponents next year as the team faces a brand new kind of schedule.

As football finished their season with one lone win there has been discussion about playing a schedule similar to the one Park View plays in which they face independent schools giving them a greater chance at winning evidenced by their 3-7 record.

The football schedule will look different next year, however due to the Dulles District splitting into two different districts: the Dulles District and the Catoctin District.  The purpose of the split is to accommodate John Champe High School and Woodgrove High School moving down to 4A and  Lightridge moving to 5A. 

The new Dulles District will consist of Dominion, Heritage, Loudoun Valley, Rock Ridge, and Tuscarora. The Catoctin District will consist of: Broad Run, Loudoun County, John Champe, Park View, and Woodgrove High School. “The Catoctin is the bigger of the five, and the Dulles is the smaller of the five [schools],” athletic director Darrell Wilson said.  The top three teams from each district will advance to the playoffs, making it an easier path than previous years.

For the next two years, Dominion will not be playing John Champe or Woodgrove High School. In past years, Dominion played all of the 4A Loudoun schools, however they will now only play the Dulles District schools, and will only play the Catoctin District if there is a mutual agreement set. Dominion will still play 5A school Potomac Falls, mirroring past years. Another addition to the football team’s schedule is playing Riverside and Meridian High school, which Dominon has not played since the 2018-19 and 2006-07, respectively.

The split of the district will allow Dominion to have more flexibility for scheduling as there is a smaller amount of required teams to play. There is also a change in playoffs too, the top three Dulles District teams will go onto the region playoffs. The change in the schedule has led to a coach having a positive reaction.  “In the overall landscape of football, it benefits Northern Virginia, Loudoun County a lot more,” head coach Drake Woodard said.