D Block and Social Media

Dominion’s D BLOCK shows the profound impact of social media.

A screenshot of the DBLOCK Twitter Account

To those who don’t know, D-Block is modernizing. It is going to become accessible on phones, computers, laptops, and tablets. This is all due to the revolution of social media and D-Block has decided to be a part of it.

@TheDHS_DBlock, the official DHS D-Block twitter account, was created by senior student Trent Lancaster and a couple of his friends. They created the account and sent out the first tweet towards the end of August, creating hype for the opening game against our rivaling school team, The Potomac Falls Panthers.

“We wanted to provide the student body with updates and information on news and school, along with sports…people should know that participating in D-Block is a great experience,” Lancaster said.
Mr. Fleming, the athletic director of DHS, said the rivalry game had a really high attendance, much larger than previous games. According to the attendance record for the game on the 30th of August, 1,153 tickets were sold and 48 seasonal passes were used. That’s a grand total of 1, 201 tickets.

Senior student Alex Bahrami is happy with the account, explaining how it is a great change of scene, but presses the fact that there needs to be a large student section not only for the football games, but for lacrosse, basketball, volleyball, and all other sports DHS offers.

Donnie Gasser, quarterback for the varsity football team, believes it not only helps ease his nerves, but is important. “It builds the well needed school spirit and brings student and faculty together,” Gasser said.

But not all game goers have heard of the account, so how will @TheDHS_DBlock get more followers? “By relying on the students on twitter,” Lancaster said. “We need them to advertise and spread the word.”

“I ask for everyone to get involved in D-Block. There is nothing more intimidating to the opposing team than a large, strong, and spirited student section. I ask for everyone to get involved in D-Block. Show up to the games, scream and cheer for your fellow classmates. Follow the twitter account and become informed. Let’s make this year’s D-Block the best one in Dominion History.”