New Cell Phone Policy

Dominion comes up with another cell phone policy to curb student cell phone use in school.

cell phones pile up as they head to lockers before the 9am bell.

The cell phone policy states: “Since electronic devices, such as radios, electronic games, cell phones, and iPods do not contribute directly to our mission, they should be locked securely in your locker from 9 AM to 3:48 PM.”

If a student gets caught with a cell phone it will be taken away and his or her parents have to come pick it up. If this happens again, the student is not allowed to bring the cell phone to school.

The decision of the new cell phone policy was made by Dr. Brewer. However, three assistant principals, student council, and the director of athletics were involved in the decision making process.

“We discovered warnings are not effective, the consequence has to come sooner,” Dr. Brewer said.

The policy was implemented because warnings were not effective, they were ringing and vibrating in class too much, and texting was one more way students could be dishonest, according to Dr. Brewer.

“The policy is motivated by two things: promoting the best learning environment possible and the highest integrity in students. They are right at the heart of our mission,” Dr. Brewer said.

Many students worry about how they will get in touch with their parents if they don’t have a cell phone, however there is a phone in the main office students can use and they can get in contact with their parents at lunch.

The feedback on the policy from parents was entirely positive, who felt it was a good decision.

The cell phone policy is needed in the event of an emergency. In the event of an emergency, the school would use Connect Ed, which is an automated phone system used to contact parents and inform them of the situation.

Mr. Banks was a ninth grade assistant principal at Denbigh High School before he came to Dominion. The cell phone policy at Denbigh High School is very similar to Dominion High School’s policy.

“It’s a good policy and all students and staff should continue to adhere to the policy,” Banks said.

Banks has noticed that students are more focused and they follow instructions better.

Assistant principal Ms. Quirin, thinks the new cell phone policy has made her job easier, but it’s still a little too early to tell. She thinks it was right for Brewer to change the cell phone policy.

“Cell phones were a big distraction and it did not enhance student achievement,” Quirin said.

“People don’t realize how use to cellphones they are. They waste time. Students should be planning in advance for things so they don’t have to contact their parents for everything,” Quirin said.

Quirin believes we will get the most success out of this policy if teachers consistently enforce it.