Ducksprings Goes Away?

On Thursday last week Dr. Brewer made an announcement that students wouldn’t be able to cross Ducksprings Way without a pass. This raises a question of, “Is the school overstepping its boundaries?”

It isn’t against the law to cross a crosswalk. Deputy Mancini said, “If there is a crosswalk pedestrians can cross the street.”

Ducksprings Way isn’t on school property. The school zone only continues up until Augusta Drive meaning that students do not need to be monitored when crossing that street.

Mr. Signorelli said, “the intersection is not a safe place to cross and a lot of students cross there who may or may not need to cross there so passes are issued to people who live in a certain area. The point is to have as few students cross there as possible and making sure that there is a crossing guard and some adult supervision because it is a dangerous place to cross.”

“The school is responsible for students the moment they step out the front door on the way to school they are under school jurisdiction. It is also the same responsibility until you get home,” Mr. Signorelli said.

Dr. Brewer says, “The change occurred for two reasons. The first is that there is no stop sign on Augusta Drive, and last year a student was struck by a car at that intersection, so that is a very dangerous place to cross. The second reason is because of complaints from the neighbors who don’t want students to cross on their street.”

“This is something that we plan on enforcing all year,” Dr. Brewer says. “And the punishment will be a clinic for any student that crosses without a pass.”