Dominion High School Press

Filed under News

Choolaah Comes to Cascades

Choolaah, a fast-casual Indian Barbecue restaurant that’s been called the ‘Indian Chipotle,’ will be opening its doors June 2nd in the quickly-growing Cascades Overlook complex. Choolaah, whose mission is to stand “at the intersection of authentic, accessible, and affordable,” will present an option for Sterling residents to have a taste of India’s cuisine without leaving the zip code.

To kick off its tenure in Cascades, Choolaah will be hosting a fundraiser exclusively for the Dominion High School community. On May 31st, from 5 to 9 p.m.—two days ahead of Choolaah’s official opening—Titan families as well as the community at large can both test the menu and give back to DHS, as 100% of all proceeds will go to benefit Dominion. “We always love interacting with the local community,” said Raji Sankar, co-CEO of Choolaah, explaining that although this fundraiser is the first of its kind for Choolaah, all guests will get the full experience ahead of opening day.

The Sterling location will be Choolaah’s third, after successful storefronts in Fairfax’s Mosaic District and Cleveland’s Orange Village. “Sterling is an awesome community,” said Sankar, noting the restaurant’s longstanding desire to open here. Additionally, Choolaah is excited to bring new culinary choices to the already burgeoning Overlook complex. “Opening more restaurants allows a place to become a destination,” Sankar said, “[and] cohabitants are an asset.”

Eating at Choolaah is an experience which Sankar describes as “truly unique.” Inspired by the Museum of Contemporary Art, Choolaah is decorated with art made by U.S. artists who were inspired by Indian culture and travel. Guests at the restaurant have their food cooked in front of them, a measure intended to inspire consumer confidence and comfort. Choolaah also offers several elements to give the dining experience levity, including a handwashing station described as a ‘jacuzzi for your hands’ and house-made ice cream.

Choolaah’s main mission is to “transform how Indian food is experienced,” Sankar says. Aiming to emulate the love and care with which food is prepared in India, Choolaah combines a contemporary atmosphere and a comfortable, fun setting to present a one-of-a-kind dining experience.