Fire and Lockdown Drill Protocol

After several fire and lockdown drills performed during clubhouse, many students have been asking how we’re supposed to react to a drill if it takes us by complete surprise. What are we supposed to do if over 1,450 students are struggling to make their way through the hallways to their next class and suddenly—BEEP BEEP BEEP!

The main reason that fire and lock down drills are done during Clubhouse is because, according to Dr. Brewer, the “primary goal of our school is to learn, so we don’t want to interrupt that.” Clubhouse provides the perfect opportunity because it is a set amount of time during the day that no student is engaged in classwork or tests.

Because of this same reason, it is unlikely that future drills will be unannounced. However, it is likely that future drills will take place during different times of the day such as when students are in between classes. When considering the idea, Brewer says, “I can’t say I’ve never thought about it.”

In the event that a fire drill occurs between classes, students should evacuate the building immediately and go to the football stadium. If a lockdown drill is called in between classes, student should go immediately to the nearest classroom, not to their previous or next class.

Safety protocol for every school in the county is outlined in general guidelines provided by LCPS. These procedures are adjusted by school staff due to considerations like school layout.

These drills are designed for student and faculty safety in the event of a real emergency and therefore it is important to know what to do in every situation. Student should anticipate drills outside of clubhouse in the future and know how to respond accordingly.