The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

DHS Press

DHS Press

DHS Press

Five Dominion Students compete on “DomFalls” Ice Hockey Team

Over 10 years later, Dominion and Potomac Falls, typically sports rivals, continue to compete as a team on the ice.
The DomFalls Ice Hockey team faces off against Briar Woods.
Cynthia Gonzalez

This winter sports season, the Dominion and Potomac Falls joint ice hockey team, DomFalls, currently has five Dominion players on the roster: Seniors Will Rose and Xavier Principe, and Juniors Rex Taylor, Nathan Raeside and Emma Arbuckle. The team has had an up and down season, currently holding a 2-6 game record and a 10-33 goal differential.

The small roster was one of the biggest struggles this year. “It’s harder to beat a team that outnumbers us,” Raeside said, “I hope students that have played hockey join, because it’s very hard for someone who has never played to just pick it up.”

Defenseman Emma Arbuckle is the only girl on the roster. “An advantage to that is that they’ll underestimate me, and they [don’t] expect that I’m pretty good at board battles,” Arbuckle says, “You have to try harder and be aware of [the other players’] strength because there’s also checking, and I play girls where there is no checking. You really have to keep your head up and be more aware.” 

Though there are players from two different schools on the team, the group still ensures a hardworking environment. “We work together, which is really nice, there’s a lot of teamwork and cooperation,” Xavier Principe said.

The team looks to improve their record on senior night, honoring Will Rose and Xavier Principe, when they face John Champe/Lightridge on February 2nd at Ashburn IceHouse at 9:20 PM.

To follow the team on their season, click here.