New Band Director at Dominion High School

Madeline Wight fills in as the new band director at DHS.

The homecoming parade is just one of many places the marching band showcases their talent.

Following the departure of Brian Damron, Dominion obtained a new teacher, Madeline Wight, to fill in for the rest of the school year and make the transition to a new band director as smooth as possible.

Dr. Brewer hired Wight the day after Thanksgiving, as she was fully qualified and available immediately. “The fact that she could come in so abruptly in an unexpected change is a huge effort,” Brewer said.

The former substitute, now an official teacher of music at DHS until the end of the year, plans to provide encouragement and positive goodwill to all students as they make this difficult adjustment.

Wight feels that she will learn a great deal as a first year teacher through communication, running rehearsals, and striving to be a better musician daily.

The biggest obstacle Wight faces this year is being a new teacher, although she faces her challenge directly by working up to eleven hours a day, proving that her commitment to Dominion’s music program comes as an important priority in her life. However, she wishes to find a balance between work and home.

Important goals Wight plans to achieve include running a successful music program and pushing students academically while still keeping everyone happy.

The trip to New York City, the St. Patrick’s Day parade, and future concerts are a few large events that she cannot wait to attend.

“I am looking forward to future concerts because working very hard is satisfying once everything comes together in one day,” Wight said.

More towards the teaching perspective, she structures her classes with a warm-up, a review of old work, and new material.

One band student, Sareena Chadha, finds that the basics they do in band act as a good refresher on technique.  “She’s doing playing tests differently by using recordings instead of playing in class. We are also getting warm-up books and learning a new way to sight read.”

Chadha finds Wight to be a good band director because regardless of her past experience, she manages the job with grace and a great ability to teach people.

Keeping a level head and giving precise directions and expectations are two important aspects students appreciate in their new band director.

Never forgetting the future, Wight has provided the band with challenging music for assessments and plenty of time in which they are currently preparing for the event.

Chadha believes this situation allows a good opportunity for students since it is important for them to be open to other teaching styles.