Honor Code Delayed Until 2014-2015 School Year

Titan+Time+will+no+longer+have+teachers+in+the+room.+

Titan Time will no longer have teachers in the room.

Despite the immense progress made at the beginning of the school year in regards to implementing the new Honor Code Policy, it has been delayed until the start of the 2014-2015 school year.

According to assistant principal Mrs. Quirin, the new Honor Code policy was supposed to go into effect second semester, but with six two-hour delays, and fourteen snow days, there simply was not enough time to fully implement the new policy.

In addition to the loss of time, there was not enough sufficient training administered to the staff on how to properly execute the new policy, despite the numerous presentations shown at the beginning of the year.

Just recently, presentations were shown in Titan Times about the code’s consequences due to resulting violations. The consequences vary with different actions. There are three levels to the Honor Code. First it is a minor infraction, then it is a middle level, and the last level is very serious.

Level one is the least severe level. An example of this would be copying a homework assignment. Although this action does not seem like it matters much, it can seriously impact one’s high school career.

The second level holds more severity. This would be cheating on a test. The third level is the most serious one.

The third level includes purchasing a paper online or stealing test answers.

Most of the punishments cause the school to alert the National Honors Society of what part of the code you have broken. The consequences are mainly based on the individual.

“The code doesn’t just help students succeed at Dominion, it helps them succeed in the next phase of their life,” assistant principal, Mr. Banks said.

“I hope the students would adhere to the code and make some changes,” Banks said. Banks feels the new Honor Code should teach students to practice honesty and accountability.

“In our society as a whole, there has been an erosion of integrity and honor so the code will help reinforce these values,” history and psychology teacher Mrs. Gusman said.

Gusman thinks the code will make her job as a teacher easier because the violations are very specific so the teachers know exactly what to do. Gusman says the code was a necessary change and although it might be harsh, it puts students on a successful path in life.

“The new Honor Code will benefit Dominion as a whole,” Banks said. Although it is a work in progress, Banks says the new Honor Code should improve the students’ integrity and character, both of which are very important to Dominion.

As of now, teachers will have to stick to the original “give-tell-tell” policy. If a student is found cheating, the teacher gives a zero to the student, tells and administrator, and tells the parents.

Quirin is hopeful that the start of next fall will bring stricter guidelines and a smoother transition into the new school year along with a new Honor Code.