Dominion High School Press

Filed under Op-Ed

The Historic Wins in the Midterm Elections

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Tuesday November 6th, voters from across the country made their way to the polls to vote in the midterm election. The results from the election were astounding, making history across the United States. The House of Representatives turned democratic while the Republicans keep their control over the Senate. The most representation of women of color in congress is also seen more than ever before in our history. The midterm election has shown progression in the equality among our representatives in high ranking political positions.

There are a number of historical firsts for women. For the first time, two Native American women were elected into office, Democrats Deb Haaland of New Mexico and Sharice Davids of Kansas, were both elected to the House of Representatives. Another historic win was Llhan Omar, who is the first muslim woman to have congressional representation. South Dakota and Maine elected their first female governors, Kristi Noem and Janet Mills. The first Latina women elected into the House of Representatives in Texas are Democrats, Sylvia Garcia and Veronica Escobar. This win was long overdue in Texas, as the where Latino population makes up a significant amount of the population. Massachusetts elected their first black representative, democrat Ayanna Pressley, to the house. Connecticut did the same as they sent Jahana Hayes, who is now the first black woman elected to the House for Connecticut.

Along with the amount of diversity among the candidates who won, there was also an increasing amount of LGBTQ representatives elected. The first openly gay man, Democrat Jared Polis, was elected governor in the state of Colorado. The first openly gay woman in Kansas, Democrat Sharice Davids, won a spot in the House. Democrat Angie Craig of Minnesota also made history becoming the first lesbian mom to be elected into congress.

The midterm election was a huge step in creating a government that has representation for all different types of people that live in the United States. The results show others, who may be interested in running in the future, that it does not matter about your race, gender, or your sexuality; if you want to represent your state in congress you have the ability to do so. We have come a long way as for a long time the government was dominated strictly by white males. The amount of diversity will hopefully bring important issues to light and increase the amount of perspectives that we have in Congress and in other important positions. America needs people from all different backgrounds to make the decisions that impact our country. It is so crucial that people of all different ethnicities can look at the United States Congress and see someone that is like them representing our country. This was one of the most important elections this country has ever had and the history of our country will be forever changed.

(Election results found on NPR.org)