Overthrowing Tradition: SCA Changes Homecoming Court

Last year Dominion crowned the Homecoming King and Queen, but that tradition is changing.

After 14 years of unchanged Homecoming tradition, Dominion has recently decided to bring significance into the Homecoming King and Queen election by connecting candidates with a specific cause to unite the Dominion student body. Rather than electing a Homecoming Court through class ballots with all students listed, only senior students will have the opportunity to campaign on behalf of their cause, and all student Titans will vote to elect a single Homecoming King or single Homecoming Queen in connection to the cause Dominion will work to fundraise throughout the year.

Dominion is the first high school in Loudoun County to make changes to the Homecoming King and Queen selection, but Dominion’s newly adopted tradition mirrors the process of Homecoming selection at a college level. Dominion wants to veer away from the previous popularity contest and push students to think beside themselves by adding criteria to their candidacy.

“I think it’s a really positive step in the right direction,” SCA sponsor Mr. Burns said, “I think it will be a game-changer and I think eventually other schools will probably start doing the same.”

Despite rumors of the change to Homecoming King and Queen title, Burns said, “We talked about changing it to the Grand Marshal since we wanted to incorporate the parade with it and Grand Marshals typically lead the parade and we found with only one person the King and Queen dynamic doesn’t work well, but that was unpopular so we went back to either having a singular King or a singular Queen.”

Since Loudoun County policy only allows two fundraisers per year, Burns said, “There is always a fight over who gets to do the fundraiser.” The elected Homecoming King or Homecoming Queen will be granted the opportunity to lead one of these two fundraisers. The opportunity stands as a unique college resume builder since the fundraiser is both yearlong and school-wide.

“I suppose almost everybody in this school doesn’t get selected for court, so almost everybody has some feelings of hurt. ‘Why wasn’t I picked?’ On some level, you have to ask yourself ‘Wasn’t I good enough to be picked?’ So, I don’t like that to begin with,” said Brewer in reflection of past tradition, although there were no specific complaints regarding previous years.

As for this years Powderpuff, last year’s rule preventing the participation of fall athletes still stands. “I watched our teams over the years limp into the latter weeks of the season with players injured during Powderpuff and that has had significant impact on the post-season fortunes of some of our teams in the past,” Brewer said. “Varsity athletes have made a commitment to the their teammates and whether it’s field hockey, cheer, volleyball, cross country: they should honor that commitment to their peers.”

SCA has officially decided that the Powderpuff game will take place on Thursday, October 26th as an afternoon pep rally.

Will you miss having a homecoming king and queen?

• Yes (77%, 73 Votes)
  • No (23%, 22 Votes)

Total Voters: 95

Loading ... Loading ...