SCA-Led Inter-Club Council

Recently, Dominion High School’s Student Council Association held the first-ever meeting of our school’s new Inter-Club Council, at which student representatives came together to foster cooperation and interaction between their respective clubs.
According to Ranjit Virk, the President of Dominion’s SCA who has spearheaded the project ever since Mr. West and Ms. Joseph came to SCA with the idea, it was the first of many. National Honors Society, which was among the clubs represented at the Council, and SCA have worked together in the past—SCA members can sometimes be seen announcing upcoming NHS fundraising events on the morning announcements—and, according to Virk, their past coordination stimulated the formation of the Council.
Virk believes “promoting unity and collaboration can only benefit the school,” noting that they ensure “events held by clubs have more participation” and grant “newly-established clubs” publicity. He cites “increasing student participation in [club] events” as the Council’s “main goal”.
The Council’s first meeting “inspired” attendee Simran Kala, a senior who represented Dominion’s Future Education Association, to have FEA interact and coordinate with SCA more often. Junior Mallory Williamson, the Spanish Club’s representative, says the meeting “helped facilitate interactions between the foreign language clubs,” which now hold their “clash competition[s]” more often. Both were satisfied by the meeting and plan to attend future ones.
Various Dominion clubs have interacted in the past—the recent Teacher Appreciation Breakfast was organized by both FEA and NHS—but Virk notes an uptick in such occurrences since the Inter-Club Council’s inception. Virk says, for instance, SCA aided Dominion’s Muslim Student Association in their winter clothes drive.
Virk hopes to hold about one Council meeting every quarter. In the meantime, he plans on increasing awareness of the Council’s existence and promoting collaboration between clubs. He states: “It is the role of SCA to aid in the betterment of student life at Dominion, and the Council helps fulfill that role.”