Teacher Tuesday: Ryan Rowles

The new Titan Band Director shows students a typical day in his life.


Courtesy of Ryan Rowles

The setup in the classroom for Ryan Rowles, where he tackles being the new band director from afar.

5:45 AM: A typical school day for me starts when my alarm goes off. I’ll either continue to rest until about 6:15, or I’ll check my phone for news updates, emails, and of course social media. 

6:15 AM:  It’s time to feed my dog, Milli. Once she’s fed, I’ll make my lunch for the day and a breakfast sandwich. My current sandwich of choice is country ham with a fried egg, over easy. 

7:00 – 7:45 AM: It’s time to take Milli for a walk around the neighborhood! I’ll usually be in the shower getting ready for school by 7:15 and am out the door no later than 7:45.

8:10 – 9:00 AM: I’m teaching from school, so I usually arrive at DHS by 8:10 – 8:15, where I check in at the reception table, greet our lovely secretaries, and get my temperature taken. I spend the remaining time before 9:00 preparing my teaching station. As the band Director, I have a rather large space to teach in, however my setup switches from day to day depending on the class I am teaching. 

9:00 AM – 12:45 PM: Once the day begins I’ll teach from school until about 12:45, then I will return home to continue work. When I get home, I’ll usually take Milli on another walk, just around the block. 

1:30 – 4:00 PM: I will spend time grading, answering emails, or preparing the next day’s lessons. On B days I do have an 8th block, so I will teach from 2:45 – 4:07 on Thursdays and Fridays.

Milli has gotten lots of walks thanks to distance learning. (Courtesy of Ryan Rowles)

4:07 – 9:00 PM: Once the school day is over, it’s time to relax. Milli gets fed at 5:00, she’s very good about letting me know when it’s time, and I’ll make dinner between 6 or 7. The rest of my evening is spent watching TV, playing video games, or scrolling on my phone. One more walk for Milli around 8:30-9 and it’s wrap. 

10:30 PM: I’m usually in bed no later than now, where I’ll probably stay on my phone for another 45-60 minutes.