Lit Mag Moves To Blogspot

Dominion’s literary magazine moves to blogspot to try to attract more submissions.

In order to increase readership and submissions, the literary magazine has switched sites.

The Dominion High School literary magazine, Belles Lettres, has moved online to http://dhsbelleslettres.blogspot.com/ and is no longer in physical publication because of funding issues.

The website says that, “Belles Lettres means literary works that are beautiful and pleasing in an artistic way, rather than being very serious or full of information.”

“The literary magazine is a collaboration of art and written works, created by the student body,” said Mrs. Freeman, sponsor of the literary magazine and art teacher.

The first magazine was printed and published in 2003, during the first year Dominion was opened.  The magazine was not funded by Dominion so the staff could no longer afford to continue publishing it.  The physical publication stopped last year as it was too expensive and there was also not enough student or staff support.

The blog for the literary magazine makes it much easier for students to showcase and to view their work.  The website for Belles Lettres was first created on January 17th, 2013.  Over forty pieces of student work are displayed on the website and more are added periodically.

“It is a way for students to put their work out there and a chance for other students to view their creativity,” said Monica Doebel, co-editor of the literary magazine.

The website for Belles Lettres contains many categories. They are: sculpture, photography, comic-art, study of life, chalk pastel, poetry, prose, editorial, staff bios, spotlight, oil pastel, ink, still life, watercolor, landscape, and self-portrait.

“We have a great staff this year, eager to make things happen”, Freeman said.

It takes the effort of many people to create a magazine or blog like Belles LettresArrianna Jian-Najar and Doebel are co-editors, working on the magazine for the past four years.  Leilani Nevs, Tess Burroughs, Sammy Savos, and Crystal Gong are among the staff.

“I encourage anyone to submit their work and get it displayed.  You can submit anonymously if you want to,” Jian-Najar said.

The literary magazine was created to display student work and to give the public an opportunity to see it.

Students can get their work published by emailing it to [email protected].