Meet Your New Counseling Director: Mr. Edwards

Mr.+Edwards+making+maple+syrup+with+his+son.++

Mr. Edwards making maple syrup with his son.

A big change struck Titan Territory this year when Jaclyn Smith, the previous counseling director, decided to leave and go to Independence High School. With big shoes to fill, came David Edwards, who previously worked as the counseling director at Park View High School. Edwards had chosen to take the job at Dominion due to the uniqueness and diverse student body of the school. 

As a school counseling director, the primary responsibilities include developing a culture that supports students within their social and emotional needs. As well as developing a protocol of how the counselors will meet with students. Mr. Signorelli further described these responsibilities, he said, “ [Mr. Edwards] is in charge of setting the tone and making sure that the counseling department is meeting the needs of every student and student’s families.” 

In terms of Mr. Edwards’ goals at Dominion, he is going to take this year to focus on learning about the students and teachers. Edwards said, “[Counselors] want to make sure that we’re continuing the tradition of sending many students to college.” He also mentioned, “Equally as important, we need to do a better job supporting our ESL (English Second Language) students, students in special ed, as well as students dealing with high levels of poverty.”

Not only is Mr. Edwards new, but also four of the five counselors are new as well, which could present challenges. Despite that, Edwards said that the department has been going really well. He said, “I’ve gotten a lot of support from Dr. Brewer and from the other assistant principles from the support staff here. They’ve been nothing but kind, helpful, and resourceful.” 

One of the characteristics that has stuck out to Mr. Signorelli is that Edwards is extremely personable. Signorelli said, “He has really fit right in, I feel like I’ve known him for a lot longer than a month or so. The level of comfort, respect, and professionalism has really been excellent.” 

One thing that has stood out to Mr. Edwards about Dominion so far is the amount of school spirit that there is. He said, “Kids are wearing Dominion clothing, everyone’s very proud to be a Titan. You don’t always get that in a lot of the schools that I have worked in.” Mr. Edward’s is excited to get to know the student’s at DHS and said, “I think that there’s some really exciting things that are going to happen.”