Leadership Class

Leadership class at Dominion.

The leadership class focused on planning a strong homecoming week. Part of their duties included counting homecoming court ballots.

This year, the leadership class has big goals in order to make this the best year Dominion has ever seen.  Complete with bigger pep rallies, better school dances, and more school spirit, the leadership class is motivated to get every Titan involved.

Andrea Relator has been teaching leadership for three years at Dominion High School.  In the past three years she has been organizing SCA, she has worked on promoting leadership, building spirit, and involving students.

“Students want more school spirit,” Relator said.

Students brainstorm goals in class and then officers meet and decide on which goals they want to get accomplished.  Additionally, student officers attend Instructional Council meetings (IC) with other teachers and administrators.  These meetings influence the students as they discuss topics such as early release, cell-phone use, and other topics affecting students.

Although students are currently focused on homecoming, Ashley Korentang, a junior in leadership class, says that students are always busy performing “Titan Tasks” such as hanging up flyers, painting the rock, doing announcements, and working within their committees.  “Our goal this year is to bridge the gap between students and to increase school spirit,” Korentang said.

“To meet our goals we have to go above and beyond our expectations.  In class we’ve already brainstormed a number of ideas we’ll be using for this school year.  We just have to get everything we’ve planned done”, said Zoozoo Safdar, a senior, as well as the secretary of SCA.

In attempt to get as many students as possible to attend football games (such as the homecoming game this Friday), incentives funded by fundraising are being created to get free tickets for students.  Leadership has asked ATLAS (our parent-teacher-student organization) to donate money towards tickets for the game, and concession stands selling spirit wear raises money for free or reduced tickets as well.  Incentives such as dressing up in spirit wear will give students the opportunity to get in for free, or for $3 instead of $6.

However, not only leadership/SCA students have the power to make school wide decisions.  Leadership students work with anyone who shows interest in school events and activities.  Any ideas will be used to plan a better school year for everyone.

Any student can get involved by coming in early to attend SCA meetings and other events, or submitting questions/ideas to the leadership class.

“The senior class this year is very dedicated and outgoing.  We like to break traditions and expectations to feel successful.  The junior class is also hard working which is why we will accomplish a lot together in leadership,” Safdar said.