Third Time’s The Charm

Dominion Drama changes play for the third time.

The drama department had some bumps in the road for tryouts but Go Ask Alice is officially on for December.

Due to the lack of student participation at auditions for the planned play of the 2013-2014 school year, Go Ask Alice, chosen by the students after Charlotte’s Web was rejected- the play was thought to once again be changed to the popular Steel Magnolias, however was switched back after gaining more student actors.

On September 8th, 2013, Mrs. Young, head of the drama department, switched the play from Charlotte’s Web to Go Ask Alice due to student opinions that said that Charlotte’s Web is too “childish of a play for a high school to perform.”

This alteration has happened once before, Young said because of student influences, “many students pursued the play, Thoroughly Modern Mille.” With that play being such a success, Young has allowed further influence by the student body.

After complying with her students’ request, the auditions held for “Go Ask Alice,” which took place during the second week of September, were heavily lacking in male actors, hurting the drama departments likelihood of performing the play. Again, Young was forced to adapt her choice of plays to her student participation at the audition—leading her to voice the idea of performing Steel Magnolias.

Luckily, due to the excitement that students had to perform Go Ask Alice, many new actors and actresses were present at the second round of auditions allowing the drama department to officially declare Go Ask Alice as the play. It will run on December 5th, 6th, and 7th at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

Taking place in the 1970’s, the play conveys a teenage girls who falls into the drug scene of the time period and becomes so involved that she struggle to make her way out and ultimately dies of an accidental drug overdose.

The intense and in-depth acting this play will require, allows this choice to create a successful production. Because of the dramatic and sensitive information that is involved, the students are eager to get started.

Whether the drama department can gather enough actors and actresses or not, the department will still be conducting a one act version of Go Ask Alice in class and performing this at the VHSL one act festival on November 2nd.

Go Ask Alice, is described by Young as intense emotional “tear jerkers” that will have the audience emotionally invested in no time, as well as a play that each and every person would enjoy and should attempt to go see.