Does Middle School Really Prepare You for High School?

Coming to High School can be one of the scariest and most stressful events of a students life, especially when you’re not prepared. As a freshman who has recently dealt with this situation, I can tell you that middle school did not prepare me at all for freshman year.

The amount of work that high school loads on its students can often be too much to handle. Comparing the workload from middle school to high school, there is a huge difference. In middle school, homework was optional and didn’t affect your grade in many classes. In high school, one missing homework assignment can negatively affect your grade. For example, in history class the homework counts for ten points. We do not take many quizzes and tests so homework counts as a big part of our grade. Just by not completing your homework in that class your grade can go down from an A to a B-.

Not only the did they not prepare us for the workload, but they didn’t teach us about what classes we should take. Because middle school was so easy for me, I thought I could take the hardest classes and it would be a breeze. In reality, I am spending four hours a day on homework and constantly stressing about quizzes I need to study for.

Wyatt Hayes, another freshman who has recently experienced this transition, said “Middle school is a whole different environment than high school. You have more work, more homework, and more extra-curricular activities that you want to take part of, and middle school didn’t prepare you for any of that.”

Middle school did not prepare me, and many other freshman for high school. It was a rough transition and the workload was vastly heavier than any class in middle school. Seneca Ridge should help prepare middle school students  by educating them on the reality of the amount of work in high school.