Dominion High School Press

Filed under Op-Ed

Does Middle School Really Prepare You for High School?

Coming to High School can be one of the scariest and most stressful events of a students life, especially when you’re not prepared. As a freshman who has recently dealt with this situation, I can tell you that middle school did not prepare me at all for freshman year.

The amount of work that high school loads on its students can often be too much to handle. Comparing the workload from middle school to high school, there is a huge difference. In middle school, homework was optional and didn’t affect your grade in many classes. In high school, one missing homework assignment can negatively affect your grade. For example, in history class the homework counts for ten points. We do not take many quizzes and tests so homework counts as a big part of our grade. Just by not completing your homework in that class your grade can go down from an A to a B-.

Not only the did they not prepare us for the workload, but they didn’t teach us about what classes we should take. Because middle school was so easy for me, I thought I could take the hardest classes and it would be a breeze. In reality, I am spending four hours a day on homework and constantly stressing about quizzes I need to study for.

Wyatt Hayes, another freshman who has recently experienced this transition, said “Middle school is a whole different environment than high school. You have more work, more homework, and more extra-curricular activities that you want to take part of, and middle school didn’t prepare you for any of that.”

Middle school did not prepare me, and many other freshman for high school. It was a rough transition and the workload was vastly heavier than any class in middle school. Seneca Ridge should help prepare middle school students  by educating them on the reality of the amount of work in high school.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Does Middle School Really Prepare You for High School?”

1. kjjkjk; on May 9th, 2018 6:22 pm

As another freshman at DHS in the class of 2021, I completely agree with you. Rather than preparing students for high school and their future careers, teachers at SRMS simply teach their students how to pass an exam. Teachers at SRMS need to be trained to better prepare their students for the future, rather than the present. Benjamin Franklin once said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” And that is just what teachers at SRMS are doing. To the future students of DHS, I have one more quote for you said by Chris Bradford, “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.”

2. Becca on May 24th, 2018 10:46 pm

I really relate to this article! SRMS did not prepare me for Dominion at all. Thanks for shedding light on this problem.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Does Middle School Really Prepare You for High School?

Op-Ed

The Historic Wins in the Midterm Elections

Op-Ed

Why Students Should Pay Attention to the Midterm Elections

Op-Ed

A Preview of the Midterm Elections

Op-Ed

Is Homecoming Dying?

Op-Ed

Why I Don’t Want to Attend Homecoming Dance

• Op-Ed

Message from SCA President Zach Davis

Op-Ed

The Disgrace that is D-Block

Op-Ed

My Glowing Experience at the Dance

Op-Ed

D-Block Needs a Revitalization

Op-Ed

My ACL Story

The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA