Field Hockey Comes Back for a Second Year

Last year field hockey was a new addition to the starting sports. As we start its second year at Dominion, there is a lot of news about the team.

One of the biggest challenges the field hockey team faced last year was funding, receiving no funding from the athletic department. According to the head coach, Karri De La Houssaye, “Last year required much of the players, parents and community support in meeting our financial obligation back to the School Board.  We worked very hard on our fundraisers to meet this goal.”

The budget last year was $14,000. Any deficit had to be paid for, as the LCPS activity fees couldn’t cover it all. This year, since field hockey is now a tier one sport, funding is received from the ticket and gate sales from athletics along with fundraisers and support from ATLAS.

The continuation of the sport means a lot to the girls on the team. The start of a field hockey team came up as dedicated club players wanted to get field hockey into high school sports.  As of now the team consists mainly of sophomores but with as the sport progresses on throughout the years players such as Hannah Johnston hope for a more diverse team. Johnston stated, “I was really excited that it started my freshman year so that now I get the full package of playing all four years.”

As of the future of field hockey at Dominion, it’s safe to say that the sport has a bright future. Head coach Karri De La Houssaye says that by teaming up with local recreational teams, such as Potomac Field Hockey and LCL (Beyond Sticks), the sport can be promoted with the youth. According to the Houssaye, “Dedicated and vocal players, parents and community will build the program, keep the game growing and keep the pipeline going for each high school.”

As of now, the field hockey team has a great record of 5-1-0. They continue on this season with their next game against Tuscarora at Heritage.