The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

Dominion High School Press

Filed under Sports

NCAA Changes Commitment Rules

Look to December for some Titans to make their commitments known.

For high school football players, there are some new recruiting rules to follow. NCAA college football released a new set of recruiting rules including an early signing day for high school players in December. Other changes include earlier official visits and limiting the hiring of people associated with recruits.

The biggest change to the NCAA recruitment rules will of course be the early signing day in December. On May 8th, 2017 the early signing day was officially added to the recruitment process for NCAA colleges. This year we had had Tommy Christ, Vashon McCants, and Corey Williams, Kyle Smith, and Jayson Robinson all sign in February of 2017.  “I wish I had the early signing day because it would have taken all the stress of losing an offer off of me,” Tommy Christ stated.

Dominion high school head football coach, Karl Buckwalter said, “The new rule change will have some positives and negatives as usual. Everyone will simply adjust and make it work for them.”

Jayde Pierre, a senior next year, said, “Not that big of a deal here at Dominion, since we don’t have any hard commits.” In schools with big name players who already verbally committed it is a bigger deal so that players are locked in earlier and you have less players going back on their word or losing their offer. Pierre already has five offers including the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland.

Second team all-state wide receiver, George Richardson, had a different opinion, he said, “Say you play another sport and you commit and sign for your main sport, and you get hurt, they can’t take it away.”

The big name juniors here at Dominion who are our most likely players to commit are not rushing to use the signing day. Pierre stated, “Not planning to, since no schools are really jumping out at me, but maybe if a school jumps out at me.” Richardson said, “I do not know what future has for me yet, I don’t know.”

The new early signing day dates run from December 20th to December 22nd, with the next signing day on the usual February 7th.