The #1 source for news for Dominion High School students and the Dominion High School community in Sterling, VA

Dominion High School Press

Filed under News

Final Turf Field Update

When last updated about the possibility of Dominion getting a new turf field, the news of the football team missing their 2017 football season home games was a disappointing negative to the otherwise great development for Dominion sports.

Now it has been confirmed that the turf field construction will begin in May of 2018. “We’re breaking ground right after the last spring sports regular season home game.,” Athletic Director Mr. Fleming said. “(spring sport) Home playoff games will have to be played at an off sight location.”

“We had engineering studies, go through permits, environmental studies, consulted with the coaches, and this was the best time to do it,” Assistant AD Mrs. Gasser said.

Mr. Fleming also added, “The earliest we could start with our prior plans was November and October, which is an issue with the possibility of a harsh winter, in which construction would not be possible.”

“With the turf field would come a new track, and to lay the track down it has to be 40 degrees, which is not ideal for the winter here,” Fleming said.