Students Head to Maryland to Watch Shakespeare

This week the 9th grade English classes will be going on a field trip to the Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center in Silver Spring, Maryland. The trip will last from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and will include a performance of Romeo and Juliet, a workshop, and a brief tour of the college.

The idea came up after the English teachers decided to have their classes read Romeo and Juliet. It was originally a play and so they collectively decided to go and take the students to watch the play because it is a fun way to integrate the story into the curriculum. According to Ms. Secrest, “It is always better to see Shakespeare performed than simply to read it.”

This play closely correlates with the curriculum because, in 9th grade, students are required to read the classic text. English teacher Ms. Miele states, “Shakespeare’s plays were also meant to be watched by an audience, not only read in a classroom. Seeing Romeo and Juliet can help students better understand the events, characters, and their motives.

Students are not required to go, but Miele says, “I highly recommend it to my students because of how much it will help them understand the play; also, it is a great experience for everyone involved.”