AVID at Dominion

Within Loudoun County Public Schools, Dominion High School is now participating in a program known as AVID; an online forum that is purchased throughout schools that offer students opportunities to prepare for the future, whether this be in regards to work-readiness or college preparation.

According to the program itself, AVID “trains educators to use proven practices in order to prepare students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education,” granting students who are in need of assistance with opportunities that may have been unavailable to them in other situations.

Ms. Secrest, one of the teachers who participate in AVID, stated, “students who participate in the program should see it as an opportunity to learn how to become organized, work and study efficiently, and set goals, specifically, goals to attend and succeed at a four year college or university.”

Mr. Signorelli, a sponsor of the AVID program, said, “on behalf of the academic criteria, students are typically a mid-tier student, meaning you have to have from a 2.0-3.5 GPA. A lot of the members are first-generation college attenders, and overall just need some sort of assistance and preparation for either college or a career path. Other than academic requirements, students have to really want to succeed and try to reach these opportunities.”

The benefits that come from the program include having a teacher/staff member working with students on reading, writing, strategies for inquiry, organization, critical thinking skills for 90 minutes every other day, tutoring sessions offered on two subjects of your choice, and attending two field tips to college campuses within Virginia.

Dr. Worth, another sponsor and teacher of AVID stated that “one of the most valuable things that come out of being in the program is watching AVID students learn and put the strategies and skills into their school work, and watching them succeed.”

The class is offered during second block for tenth graders, taught by Dr. Worth, and third block for ninth graders, taught by Ms. Secrest. One of the benefits of the program is that the classes never change, so whoever the class is composed of during freshman year will move up to sophomore year, offering unity, building skills, and a helpful environment.

Overall, the goal of AVID is to ensure “college readiness— preparation for success in whatever students may choose to do in the future, whether this be college, as there is a huge focus on paving a path towards college, or preparing for future career paths.”