Veteran’s Day Assembly

For the last 13 years, Dominion has hosted a local military veteran in students’ Titan Time to educate them about the sacrifices necessary to be a member of the American military and to defend our freedoms.  The stories they tell give students a soldier’s perspective of what it’s really like to serve one’s country, even if some students aren’t totally drawn in. Whether the student is interested in military affairs or not, everyone by the end of the assembly understands more about veterans’ sacrifices for America.

It all started whena group of veterans asked that all Loudoun County Public Schools attend school every Veteran’s day. Dr. Brewer began having veterans come to speak at Dominion so “students can hear [the story of] someone who sacrificed,” said Mr. Hicks. Each year a new veteran comes in and even though freshman never heard the previous speaker it’s because so “students can hear someone new.” Says Mr. Hicks. The Veterans Day assembly shows students how courageous a soldier has to be and while the guest hopes everyone is drawn in, “It depends on the student,” said Mr. Hicks in regards to varying levels of student engagement during the assembly. Through the assembly, all students understand more about what it’s like to serve.

The Veterans Day Assembly can encourage students to go into the army and serve when they discover the rewards. For the guest, they’re able to tell their stories and make a difference on a student’s life. While students may not get to relax at home, they still celebrate this patriotic holiday.