All the news Titans need to know

DHS Press

Filed under Features

Prom Increased in Price but Decreased in Attendance

Prom is a special time that some Juniors and Seniors look forward to every year. This years Prom was on May 20th from 8-12pm. The event took place at the Washington Dulles Airport Marriot.

Mrs. Stupi a sponsor of the Junior Class council said before this year’s Prom, “This year is not going to be anything more spectacular than previous years, but it’s just a good way to celebrate the end of the school year and for seniors the end of their high school career.”

This years Prom cost 65-85 dollars a ticket depending when you bought one. Last year’s cost 55-75 dollars also depending on the week you purchased it. Mrs. Stupi also said, “There is maybe a 10 dollar difference year to year based on how much is fundraised.” Essentially the more that is fundraised the cheaper the Prom ticket. If you want a cheaper ticket, you need to go out and fundraise for Prom.

Around 250 plus people were expected to have purchased a ticket by May 18th. In total 300 people purchased a Prom ticket. Last year 325 people purchased a Prom ticket. The theme was the Enchanted Forest and the Junior Class Council purchased decorations so it would fit the theme. Last year’s theme was an outer spaced themed Prom. Food and beverages were included with the purchase of a ticket.

The Junior Class Council makes decisions related to Prom, plans service events, plan fundraising events, and more. Anyone in the junior class is eligible to join the Junior Class Council. The Junior Class Council teacher sponsors are Mrs. Stupi and Mrs. Siu. The Junior Class Council has an exceptionally big say on what happens at Prom.

Mrs. Stupi said, “Last year’s Junior Class Council and sponsors decided on the venue for this year, once they hand over that information to us we decide do we want a DJ, do we want a photo booth, and the Junior Class Council looks at a couple different themes, and once we pinpoint a theme we start purchasing decorations.”

Last year’s Junior Class dictated how they wanted their Prom and this year’s Junior Class made everything happen. If you want to have a say on what happens at Prom you should join the Junior Class Council.

More than just the Junior Class Council put prom together. Prom had lots of volunteers including teachers and parents. Prom only sold 300 tickets this year, so it did not fully cover the cost of Prom. The class of 2017 fundraised at three sporting events this year. Mrs. Siu said, “Overall my co-sponsors and I, as well as the administrators are pleased with the outcome.