DECA Competes at ICDC

DECA Competes at ICDC

Dominions is sending 24 students to ICDC, and this year it is being held in Anaheim, California. Students have been working all year to get ready for this competition. ICDC is starting on Tuesday the 25th and goes through Saturday the 29th.

ICDC stands for International Career Development Conference. More than 18,000 students, teacher-advisors, business professionals, and alumni attend. The students are a part of the club DECA. People from all over the world come to compete including, four U.S. territories, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Spain, Germany, South Korea, The People’s Republic of China, Turkey, and Hong Kong.

Tomi Aluko, a DECA officer, says, “Tons and tons of preparation is put into ICDC depending on what you do, projects, for example, start as early as the beginning of the school year to perfect their presentations, papers and role-plays, role-plays have mandatory practice tests.”

With all the other countries, competing students also have a chance to meet many new people from all over the world. “I am excited about experiencing a different competition environment with new international competitors,” says Sophia Masrour, who is one of the two freshman going to ICDC for the first time. Aluko also said,” My favorite thing personally about ICDC is meeting people from all over the country and world because countries such as China, Guam, and Mexico also attend the conference.”

These students are also doing many other things in California than just competing. They are also spending some time at Disneyland and going to an Angels game. “I’m excited to go to Disneyland since I’ve only been to Disneyworld and also to try In-N-Out,” Aluko says.

DECA is one of the oldest and biggest clubs at Dominion High School and has been around since the school opened in 2003. DECA is a co-curricular professional organization for marketing students. It gives students opportunities for leadership development, community service, career skills development, competitions, and scholarships.