Will To Survive Comes to Dominion

Will To Survive Comes to Dominion

On February 23rd, Dominion will be operating on a modified schedule in order to accommodate a 90-minute play, Will to Survive.

Will to Survive will tell the somber story of a former LCPS student, Will Robinson, who committed suicide in January of 2016. The show will be produced by a non-profit group A Place to Be. Director of School Counseling, Jaclyn Smith, said, “The cast hopes that through the show, audience members might see a part of themselves represented on stage and realize that they are not alone, that questions and fears, sadness and doubts are normal and that there are people and places to turn to for help when life feels too overwhelming to handle.”

Even though the 90-minute show will account for a loss of instructional time, the DHS counseling staff hopes that the production will shed light onto the topic of mental illness, so as to show students suffering from any that they are not alone.

The modified schedule will begin with a 35-minute 5th block. Half of the school will see the play during 6th block from 9:55-11:25. After 7th block, students will return to 6th block and the other half of the school will go to the play from 1:25-2:55. The day will end with a 35-minute 6th block.

Much to the dismay of the counseling staff, they have seen a “substantial increase in the number of students who are experiencing mental health concerns and/or crises.” With that number on the rise, they are really hoping to increase the amount of suicide prevention activities, which hopefully this production will fill.

With that rising number, there is a higher percentage of students seeking help. “We’re glad that many students feel comfortable enough to seek help from their counselor,” said Smith, but they are still hoping to erase any stigmas associated with reaching out to a trusted adult.

For students not battling with mental illness, the show will still put out a positive message. In an email to the staff of DHS, Smith said, “The goal of the musical is to inspire and educate students about better ways to face life’s challenges.  In addition to reminding us that we’re not alone, it is a conversation about mental health, depression, suicide prevention, self-acceptance, love and hope.”