Roaming the Halls: Students Without Classrooms

Students are constantly trying to find ways to get out of class but when they do, they just wander the hallways. What are they actually doing and is it worth leaving class?

There are anywhere between seven and twenty students found in the hallway when they are supposed to be in class during any given block.

Students will leave class, “maybe once or twice during the week,” sophomore Michaela Hansen said. However others like George Richardson will leave class, “pretty much every day” and they tell their teachers that they are either, “going to the bathroom or getting a drink of water.”

With all of the students leaving class, one would assume that there would be more suspicion but almost every student said that their teachers usually don’t say anything and when they do they accept lame excuses.

Most students leave because, “class is boring or a friend needs to talk to me” said a student spotted in the hallway.

Other students will tell teachers that they are “going to the nurse so that it doesn’t seem as suspicious when I’m gone for a long time,” freshman Caroline Hess said.

A few say that they only let out one student out of the classroom at a time and some know that they are not doing what they actually say but, “it’s kind of difficult to determine whether a person actually has to go to the bathroom or not and if I say no then a lot of times I will get a complaint from a parent when they actually have to go” Mr. Troth said.

Also, teachers recognize which students usually don’t do what they are saying and they don’t let those certain students out, “If I know that you’re not going where you’re telling me you’re going, then why am I going to let you out?” Ms. Owens said.

While there is no rule that says teachers have to let students go to the bathroom or the nurse, “If you ask me to go to the nurse I’m going to let you go but I will ask: Do you really need to go or are you just bored?” Owens said.

Students should not stay out too long though because, “if they’re gone too long then I’ll go searching for them” and if a student just doesn’t come back, “I write them up for skipping,” Troth said.

The “lame excuse of bathroom” is rarely used anymore and instead there is, “talking to another teacher or finishing a task but I give them a time limit and if they aren’t back then I know they aren’t doing what they are supposed to do so a lot of the time I let them go when we aren’t giving instruction but at the same time we have to know where everybody is,” Troth said.